Remember our aging population during the Holidays
The holidays are among us. Now is the time for sharing and giving, spending time with our loved ones. However, often times our elderly family and friends are alone during this time which can cause depression and loneliness. Spread some “cheer” this holiday season with The CHEER Plan, courtesy of www.aplaceformom.com.
The CHEER plan stands for:
This plan involves checking on your elderly loved one’s well-being, helping them stay active and engaged, empowering them to remain independent, enjoying your time together and discussing joyful memories of the past.
Here are some ways you can initiate the CHEER plan:
- Check to make sure they have food and clean living quarters; that they are able to take care of themselves.
- Help them stay active and engaged by listening closely to their desires and needs; be a voice for them.
- Empower them by celebrating their independence; make sure they have the resources and support needed to continue to remain independent.
- Enjoy the moment; find a fun, engaging activity you can do together such as looking at holiday lights or singing carols.
- Reminisce by bringing photos from meaningful, happy times; share stories.
By taking care of our aging family members, we are making the most of the holiday spirit.
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday from Lehn Law, P.A.!